Virgtucky or Kenginia

This H0-layout is based on two cities in two states: Richomd, VA and Paintsville, KY, hence the somewhat funny headline.

Construction started in sections in my home in Florida. All in all, 8 sections of framework were built and hauled up to Oklahoma. Control is NCE DCC (manual and computer automatic for the hidden staging). Layout size is 151.5" by 348.5". Benchwork is open grid made out of 3/4" plywood and 1/2" plywood for subroadbed.

3D view of benchwork 3D overview from entrance 3D overview from North wall
 Click on picture to view it in full size

On 12th April, 2017 I arrived at the customer's site and started to set up the sections that were built in Florida. The next 5 days were devoted to construct the remaining benchwork and set up a temporary loop for the customer to run some trains in circles.

View from entrance to north wall Future lift-out bridge Hidden staging
Keeping track aligned over sections Underneath the future coal mine View to room entrance
Click on picture to view in full size

11/05/2017 until 11/17/2017

During this stay, I wanted to get all occupancy sensors installed and get the first train running on automatic computer control. The controlling software is Freiwald's TrainController Gold, Version 8. However, "first, things go different, second, than you think" :-) During the test runs with different engines and cars, I discovered a few serious track issues that had to be taken care of before I could set out to tackle the software. That buttoned up after two days, I finall could go ahead and connect the NCE BD20 occupancy detectors to Auxilliary Input Boards (NCE AuI01) and test the functionality. This step was also a great opportunity to test the switch panels which are hooked up to NCE's Button Boards. And of course a few toggle switches and wires were broken - so back to repair work for another day.

Auxilliary Input Board before cleaning up wiring Occupancy sensors before cleaning up Spaghetti! Where are the meatballs?
The layout on 11/06/2017 The layout on 11/06/2017 - Swing bridge spanning aisle The layout on 11/06/2017 - Left leg
The layout on 11/06/2017 - Left leg The layout on 11/06/2017 - Top (North) end The layout on 11/06/2017 - Top (North) end
The layout on 11/06/2017 - Top (North) end    

The rest of the days until the 17th November were spent to set up, configure, and actually use TrainController®. After struggling quite a bit at first to get the "AutoTrain" feature to actually save a schedule for later use, I found a workaround. I simply broke up the complete route of a train into smaller segments called successors. Then I went from detector to detector and added the respective successors to the route. Worked out pretty well a couple of times - until I inadvertantly hit the button "Save as permanent schedule for later use" again... The tediously worked out schedule had disappeared into Nirwana and I had to start over. In the end, I came to the conclusion that I will have to add a few more occupancy sensors to facilitate route scheduling. This task is planned for an upcoming trip in December.

Stay tuned!

To be continued...